Chicken and Roasted Corn Chowder
USS Newport News' CS2 Jonathan Willfong made Chicken and Roasted Corn Chowder for Fleet Fest.
Directions:1. Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until browned and crisp; set bacon on a paper towel to get off the excess grease and let cool enough to handle. Reserve bacon drippings for step 3.
2. Take corn and mix it with olive oil to coat, sprinkle pepper on it and place on a pan, then put the pan in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 5 min or until the corn starts to darken. Set off to the side till step 4.
3. Sauté chicken, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in the bacon drippings. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and onions begin to soften.
4. Add chicken broth, roasted corn, and cream corn to the sautéed chicken.
5. Mix the cornstarch and milk to make slurry to thicken the chowder.
6. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes, and add salt, white pepper and cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
7. Ladle soup into the bowl; sprinkle bacon and fresh parsley for garnish before serving.