Virginia Peanut Fed Porchetta
Scott Simpson from Swan Terrace made us his Virginia Peanut Fed Berkshire Farms Porchetta.
Ingredients:2 Berkshire Farms pork bellies
1 peanut fed Berkshire Farms pork loin
Virginia Herb Rub
4 tbsp Old Bay Spice
2 tbsp black peppercorns
5 tbsp fennel seeds
4 tbsp chopped garlic
4 cups chopped fresh herbs(parsley, basil, oregano, sage, rosemary)
3 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directions:1. Take all Virginia Herb rub ingredients and mix well with a whisk let stand while you prepare the pork. (This can be done 1 day in advance.)
2. Slice the Pork Bellies in half horizontally but do not cut all the way through. (This technique is called Butterflying). Then tenderize the pork belly with a meat mallet or large tenderizer making sure to not tear the meat but making it spread out even thickness.
3. Next slice the pork loin horizontally so it is a thin sheet. Then tenderize the pork Loin with a meat mallet or large tenderizer making sure to not tear the meat.
4. Place the pork belly fat side down.
5. Rub both pork sheets with herb spread .
6. Place the Pork Loin inside the Pork belly.
7. Then roll together as tightly as possible and tie with Twine.
8. Place in oven on a rack or rotisserie and cook at 225 -250 for 4 hours until golden brown and internal temperature of 155 degrees.
9. Remove and let rest then cut string off carefully and slice.
We recommend serving with a creamy grit or collard greens maybe some Baby Carrots and a light fresh tomato sauce is the only condiment suggested to this amazingly Juicy and Flavorful pork roast.