Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
Farm Fresh Corp. Exec. Chef Bob Hirasawa made Southwestern Breakfast Casserole.
Ingredients:3 cups (1/2 inch) cubed corn bread
3 cups (1/2 inch) cubed white bread
8 ounces chorizo sausage
8 ounces bacon diced.
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp fresh chopped garlic
2 1/2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 each seeded and minced fresh jalapeno
1 (10-ounce) tomato salsa (heat depends on you)
1 (8-ounce) carton liquid eggs
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
Directions:1. Combine the white bread and cornbread cubes.
2. In a heated skillet cook the bacon until slightly crisp.
3. Meanwhile remove the sausage from their casings, then add into the skillet, stir to crumble, then add the onions and garlic cooking until onions become clear.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine half and half, cumin, pepper, jalapeno, salsa, and liquid eggs; stir with a whisk until well-blended.
5. Combine egg and bread mixture.
6. In a 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, spoon half of bread mixture then top with 1 cup cheese.
7. Spoon the remaining egg mixture over the cheese layer.
8. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night or freeze up to 1 week ahead.
9. When ready to cook, (thaw if you froze it) Preheat oven to 350ºF
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until set, top with 1 cup of cheese and bake for a additional 10 minutes to melt cheese.
11. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.