Burtons Grill's Steak Au Poivre
Burtons Grill's Executive Chef Chase Barton visited our kitchen to make their Steak Au Poivre.
Ingredients:Steak Au Poivre
14 oz NY Strip Steak
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Black Peppercorns, Coarse Grind
2 Tbsp Butter, Salted; Melted
Au Poivre Sauce
1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns, Coarse Grind
1 1/2 oz Brandy
3 oz Cognac Base
Cognac Sauce Base
1/2 oz. clarified butter
1/4 cup Onions, minced
1 Tbsp Garlic, Minced
1/2 cup red wine, Cabernet
2 cups beef stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 1/2 Tbsp. water
Directions:Steak Au Poivre
1) Season strip evenly with 1 tsp kosher salt on each side, then the coarse black pepper.
2) Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium-high heat.
3) When oil is hot, place strip down and sear for 3-4 minutes.
4) Flip steak over and place in 450 degree oven to finish cooking.
5) When steak is cooked to desired doneness, remove from the pan and let rest.
8) To make the au poivre, heat a dry saute pan, add 1/2 tsp coarse black peppercorns and toast
over medium heat (you should be able to smell it but don't burn)
9) Deglaze pan with cognac and allow to burn off. Add cognac base and reduce by half, you are looking for it to coat the back of a spoon.
10) Place steak on a plate and top with au poivre sauce. Additional sauce can be served
on the side.
Cognac Sauce Base
1. Heat clarified butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic
and cook until soft and clear, about 5 minutes. DO NOT BROWN!!!
2. Add red wine and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil and reduce until almost dry, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add beef stock, cream, and dijon mustard. Bring sauce back to a boil and reduce for 10 minutes.
4. Mix corn starch and water together. Add corn starch mixture to sauce and bring back to a boil. Remove sauce from heat and pour into a metal bowl or container.
5. Cool sauce using an ice bath. Once cool, cover, label, date and refrigerate.